On the evening of August 19, 1869, a small group of Swedish immigrants met to fill their need for a church of their own.
Thus, the Swedish Evangelical Bethany Church was born. From that small start, the present congregation continues to gather to hear, praise, and witness to God's saving Word in Jesus Christ.
1869 - Bethany Lutheran Church founded. First building of stone with grass roof erected one mile northwest of Lindsborg
1874 - Original part of present building of native sandstone erected in Lindsborg, on 80 acres owned by the church.
1880 - Building expanded to the west including steeple and balcony, purchased a pipe organ.
1881, 1892, 1904, 1919, and 1939 - Augustana Synod conventions held in Lindsborg.
1881 - Bethany Academy founded in Bethany Church sacristy. Became Bethany College in 1887.
1882 - Lindsborg's first performance of Handel's "Messiah" held in Bethany Church.
1892 - Augustana Woman's Missionary Society organized at synod meeting in Bethany Church.
1904- Added north and south transepts, stained glass windows, new pipe organ, hand-carved altar, and Sandzen and Malm paintings at front of sanctuary.
1923- Weekday Church School founded.
1928 - Present two-story brick parsonage built at cost of $14,500.
1934 - First use of English language in congregational minutes.
1952 - Education building (Christian Life Center) erected at cost of $160,000.
1958 - Boy Scout Troop organized under sponsorship of Bethany Church, continues to the present.
1986 - Archives Committee appointed to translate and preserve the historical records of the church.
1995 - Built new offices and meeting rooms connecting the sanctuary and Christian Life Center.
1997 - Installed new Jaeckel tracker organ.
320 North Main, Lindsborg, KS 67456